Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I've been thinking about a future re-build of my Mark IV 0.060 over 454 BBC.I have thought about an aftermarket block,but my 14015445 4 bolt main block has already had machine work done.The block has been decked at 0.005,the cylinders were bored and plate honed 0.060 over,and the main journals have been align honed.The 511 cubic inch  build would have a bore of 4.310 and a stroke of 4.375.I should start off by saying that I do not want a build like what seems to be popular on Team Chevelle,a stroked hydraulic roller cammed  BBC that make tons of torque at a lower RPM and is all done by 6000 RPM.I want a solid roller cam build that will rev 7-7500 RPM.I am thinking about what parts to use,and since this build likely wont happen until 2015 or 2016,I've got lots of time to make any changes.I will be going to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis for parts help,Mike has helped me with a few things in the past and has always treated me right.
But,heres what I am thinking about right now.Cylinder heads will be from Air Flow Research.I want to use them for a couple of reasons.Partly because they are the best off the shelf aftermarket heads available and partly because of how AFR's Tony Mamo conducts himself on the car forums.I am leaning torwards the AFR 315 cc fully CNC ported head,here;
http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=68_74
I would like to get them as bare assemblies and have Mike assemble them with Titanium valves and retainers,matching springs and a set of T & D shaft rockers;
http://tdmach.com/bbc.html
I've got lots of ideas,probably from reading too much on the car forums.The heads would be milled to attain as small as possible combustion chambers,with custom made,lightweight,gas ported pistons with a narrow ring package,high compression,11.0:1 or more,a vacuum pump,water injection,distributorless ignition,the thickest 7/16,or bigger,Series 5 Manton pushrods that will fit;
http://www.diamondracing.net/
http://www.gzmotorsports.com/CPVK102-vacuum-pump-kit.html
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Naturally-Aspirated-Kits/c25/index.html
http://www.autosportlabs.com/megajolt-lite-p-41.html
http://www.mantonpushrods.com/Pushrod-Info.html
As for the crank & rods,I would like to stay away from the overseas made products.The Callies line looks to have great selection,and their reputation is among the best;
http://www.callies.com/crankshafts/magnum/magnum-big-block-chevy/
http://www.callies.com/connecting-rods/
I also have thoughts on the induction system.Call me crazy,but the idea of a custom built Quadrajet sure does appeal to me.Like one of these Quadzilla's from Sean Murphy;
http://smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/11/sfID2/9/productID/76
I'm not sure about the intake yet,although my dual plane Weiand Stealth might do the job,especially if it were ported by someone like Weingartener Racing;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8018/overview/make/chevrolet
http://www.wengines.com/weingartnerflowbenchservices.html
If the Stealth isnt up to the job,I'm not sure what I would want.The only spread bore specific intake manifolds for the rectangular port heads I found are the Offenhauser line;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-6066/overview/make/chevrolet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5767/overview/make/chevrolet
Or one of the Edelbrock models with a carb adapter;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2692
I would also have the lifter bores indexed and bored/honed for bigger lifters,which would be the .904 diameter Isky EZ RollX solid roller lifters;
http://www.iskycams.com/pdf/2010Catalog-pg28.pdf
I would have another custom ground camshaft,either from UDHarold or Chris Straub.The cam I have now came from UDHarold,and it works just like I wanted,so I think that he would be my first choice for another cam.
The Hooker headers will join my old ones as scrap in one of Mark's old junked cars,I'm not sure what brand I would use,although Hedmans & Dougs are said to be good choices;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-65002/overview/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle/year/1970
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d325-r/overview/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle/year/1970
I know that some,or maybe all,of my ideas may seem farfetched.But,I guess that I'm just thinking outside the box.I dont want what everyone else has.I want a Big Block that will scream !!! I want something that I designed and built as a well thought out combination.Will I make changes ?? Undoubtedly..Will I seek out advice from knowledgeable people ?? Certainly I will.But,when its all said and done,I will be able to say that I set the groundwork and built it myself,which not too many of my peers can say
Well,it looks like I may change my thoughts on using a custom Quadzilla Q Jet.I emailed Sean Murphy,and here is that conversation;
Me-"I am planning to stroke my Mk IV BBC in a few years to 511 CI.I want it to
be 7-7500 RPM build,street car,3700 lbs. Monte Carlo SS,5 speed,not sure
what cam yet,but it will be a custom grind solid roller.Would one of your
Quadzilla Q Jets work on a build like this ?? Havent decided on an intake
yet.Heads will likely be AFR 315's.Thanks."
  SMI-"Thanks for your interest in SMI. I wouldn't recommend it for maximum
performance. A holley would be a better choice."
Also heard from Mike Lewis after he read this blog,here are his thoughts;
"Hi Guy
I like most of it but if you are going to build an engine of this caliber why screw around with a stock block
I can order a Dart with the 50 or 55mm cam & 904 lifter bores for not much more than a standard one
Then you can back off the stroke & go to 4.600 for a 565 or even a 4” stroke 532, go with the new AFR 377’s & a real intake if you want 7000+RPM"

But,I still think that I want to stick with my stock block,although a lot is going to depend on my budget.
I emailed AFR,and here is what they had to say;
"Considering the information you have provided, I would recommend a set of our fully CNC ported 335cc Magnums. Your specific combination would be able to harness the power potential of these heads. They flow surprisingly well while retaining a relatively small intake runner volume. This increases the velocity of the intake charge resulting in not only a peak horsepower gain but also an increase in bottom end power. If you take the time to compare our heads with our competitors, pay attention to not only the peak flow numbers but also with flow ratings throughout the valve lift.
If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future and helping you to place your order"
 http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=68_69&osCsid=850hp5mn07o31h526cehh31p55
I've also sent cam recommendation forms to Crower,Bullet,Comp Cams,Lunati,UDHarold & Chris Straub.I heard back from Crower,Bullet,Comp Cams & Chris Straub.They all seem to recommend a cam of .660-.740 inch lift,Dur @ 0.050 from 250-278 and LSA of 109-111.
Here are the cam recommendations,
Crower Cams;
Hello Guy we got two cam profiles cam 00101r #1 specifications mechanical roller cam
advertised duration 296° intake exhaust 308°
duration at .050 intake 266° exhaust 278°
lift the top and center intake .254 exhaust .245
valve lift using 1.7 rockers intake .668" exhaust .720"
lobe separation 111°
performance specifications 814.35 horsepower at 4296 RPM
pulling power torque 709.25 foot-pounds at 4296 RPM
power range 2800 7200 red line 7800
Camshaft number #2 custom grind also advertised duration intake 304° exhaust 318°
duration at 050 intake 268° exhaust. 282°
valve lift intake .721 exhaust .781
lobe separation 112° Grinders recommending 107° 108° lobe centers , idle quality does not exist stupid ! Also increases cylinder pressure no good
performance and 878.99 horsepower and 7350 RPM red line 7750
power range 3250 7450
Look these 2 grinds over, let me know what you think, these are very smooth (profiles not requiring real hi spring pressure, if you buy these we must talk and retail about close pressure open pressure required these profiles,, roller tappets, pushrods rocker arms let me know Dave crower 619 6060997
pricing $ 325.00 to $695.00 depending on material used cam bearing sizes. Firing order standard- 4 7 , or LS 1 firing order 4 7 3 2
Bullet Cams;
GRIND CHB283/291R110+2
MASTERS R121 R118
DUR @ .050 253/261
LIFT .731/.731
LSA 110
INT C/L 108
 Comp Cams;
 
    Hi Guy,
    At this point, I think our cam part# 11-773-8 would be an excellent cam for your setup. The duration @.050 is 254/260, valve lift is .660/.667, on a 110 lobe separation angle. This cam will give you more rpm, but it is still streetable. If you are planning to make the car more drag race oriented, then we could do a more aggressive cam for you, too.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Thanks,
    Matt
 
 
     


  •  
     

     
     






    I will probably get one of Chris Straub's custom grinds.Here is the conversation between Chris & myself;
     
    "Originally Posted by GuysMonteSS
    Hey Chris,I am in the (very),early stages of planning a rebuild to my Mark IV 468.My plan will include a 4.375 511 ci stroker kit from Mike Lewis,and I am wanting a somewhat nasty street build.Looking for 2500-7500 RPM,with a max of 8000.I wont be worried about vacuum or smooth idle,looking at a hydroboost system for the brakes.I will likely have the lifter bores indexed and honed for the bigger 0.904 lifters and use the Isky EZRoll solid rollers.AFR recommends their 335 fully CNC ported Magnum heads.I am thinking single plane intake,Proystems carb high compression & water injection system,vacuum pump with matching piston & ring package.Also might use a distributorless ignition.What would your thoughts be for camshsaft specs?? I will be having a custom grind done when its time.
    Thanks
    Guy

    Guy,
    What is your HP goal on the build?
    Chris,I would like to see 750-800 HP.(Or more)
    Guy
    How much compression? You won't have to turn in 8000 rpm to do that.
    Chris,I'm thinking af 11-12:1 compression.Looking to make the most HP I can from this combo.
    Guy
    12 to 1 she is going to be over 800HP

    So what cam specs ???
    Guy,
    It takes me about hour and half to calculate the cam. Ball park your looking at around 260 duration and .740ish net lift on a 109. My best compression 496 (13.5 to 1) made 937HP at 7300 rpm. with your compression goal and the CID of the engine we wil make in excess of 800 at or around 7000 rpm.

    Chris[/QUOTE

    Thanks Chris.
    So would it be possible to have a cam that would build more power at 7500 RPM ??? Lets say my HP goal was 850-900...
    Guy
    Sure but your building a maintenance engine. You would be looking at $450 springs every 2000 miles. Its what you want but you need to ask yourself is an extra 50HP worth the maintenance. At this point you would be better to add compression and make the power at a lower rpm and pay for race gas.

    I will design what you want to reach your goals. You just need to be sure of your goals.
    Well Chris,I sure dont want to be replacing springs all the time.
    Guy
    You didn't think I would become the little guy standing on your shoulder speaking reason did you?! Let's shoot for 750 to 800hp!!!
    Chris,if all goes as I hope,I will definitely be wanting one of your custom cams.As I said,I am just in the early days of making plans.A little info if you are interested: I live in Nova Scotia,which is the Eastern seaboard of Canada,but I work in Western Canada in the Alberta oil patch.I usually just work the winter season,but I now have the opportunity to work year round for a couple of years,although this could change at any time,oil companies are very fickle.So if I do get steady work,I will make some good money,and hopefully I will be able to realise my goals.I have been reading your posts on exhaust lobes and LSA's,very interesting reading indeed.I am thinking of having Mike Lewis getting a set of bare heads and assembling them for me,so if different exhaust valve springs were needed,it shouldnt be a problem.
    Guy
    Mike and I work quite well together. When ur ready we can reach ur goals,
    __________________
    Chris Straub
    Mfg Performance Parts
    Clay Smith Cams
    www.straubtechnologies.com
    Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
    Forward Message Reply With Quote
    I am also rethinking the Megajolt distributorless ignition.I talked to Mark Broome about it,and he said that the Ford EDIS Module & coil packs are known to be highly unreliable.I also joined the Autosports Lab forum,but no one seems to be able to provide any insight on using one of these systems on a Big Block Chevy.Holley makes a DIS,along with their EFI,but its probably close to $ 5000.00 for a complete DIS & EFI system.
    Another alternative would be the Crane Cams Pro Curve Billet Optical Trigger distributors,along with one of their ignition boxes & coils;
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-730-0892
    Lots of adjustability with a combination like this.

    I'm not sure about the AFR tech's advice on using the 335 Magnum heads,it seems to me that that particular model may be a bit on the big side.But,when the time actually comes to order parts,maybe I will send Tony Mamo an email and ask his advice.
    I also priced titanium valves,and they are quite expensive,app. $ 120.00 per valve,so the idea of using those will likely be dropped.But,there may be alternative light weight valves available from someone like Ferrea.And the titanium retainers seem like they would be affordable.So maybe the combination of lighter valves and titanium retainers would help result in a lighter weight valvetrain,which in turn would result in a higher revving engine.
    So now I'm leaning towards a single plane intake and a ProSystems carb instead of a dual plane intake and a Q Jet.It just so happens that Mike Lewis is a dealer for ProSystems carbs,pretty conveineint for me.
    I also emailed G Force Transmissions about one of their GF -5R tranny's;
    http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gf5r.asp
    One of these could be geared very similar to my current Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,and it seems to work pretty nice with the 3.00:1 rear gear.I dont think my old Doug Nash would hold up very well to a bunch of extra Horse Power.Here is the reply from G Force;
    Guy,

    The G-Force GF-5R 5-speed Clutch Assisted transmission is $6,000.00 plus shipping. This comes with a V-gate inline pistol grip shifter or an H-pattern shifter. Yokes are $220.00.

    The GF-5R Clutchless 5-speed (drag race only) is $6,250.00 plus shipping and also comes with a shifter.

    Any questions, please give Bubba a call at 717-202-8367 . Thank you.

    Lisa Perkins
    G-Force Transmissions

     
    I've also PM'd Joe Sherman about the use of a vacuum pump on a street build,and he has kindly offered to share his wealth of engine building knowledge any time I want to call him and have a personal chat.
    I also PM'd Steve from Star Machine Vacuum Pumps and here is our conversation;
     

    Vacuum pump....

    Sent: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:52 am
    by GuysMonteSS
    I am in the very early stages of planning a rebuild,(2-3 years).I have a Mark IV BBC,0.060 over 468.I am thinking of a 4.375 in. 511 stroker build,AFR heads,solid roller,etc..This will be for my 99.9 % street car.Would an engine built to work with a vacuum pump be a viable option for my situation ?? From what I have read,it would need pistons & rings designed to work with a vac pump.This will likely be a max effort hot street build,7500 RPM.
    I am just trying to gather as much info as I possibly can .
    Guy
     
    "While ring seal is paramount to making HP and being successful with vacuum, we specialize in vacuum pump technology. Since we are not engine builders we can not keep up with the latest technology in all phases of building engines. Though we delve in this sort of thing from time to time since the two parameters are so closely related, we think your question would be better directed to the ring and piston manufacturers who specialize in this area. In this way, you would be getting the latest information directly from the experts who deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis. The vacuum pump for this application is no problem. If the engine is built with vacuum in mind the end result would certainly be worth the effort. Please let us know if we can help and thanks for your inquiry.
    If your inquiry was from interest in the recent discussion about our electric vacuum pump, please be advised that this would NOT be the pump we would recommend for this application. Since you are driving this on the street, we assume you will be using an alternator (if not, disregard the following info about the alternator pulley). You will need a crank mandrel to position the vac pump drive pulley and the mandrel will also need to accommodate your alternator drive pulley as well. Our mandrel will work on your application with or without a crank trigger wheel. However, our optional 5" diameter v-belt pulley for the alternator drive can only be placed directly against the balancer or crank trigger wheel. If your alternator bracket is such that this pulley location will work, all is good.
    Good luck with your project,
    Steve/Star Machine"
    http://www.starvacuumpumps.com/catalog/pumps/

    I will also need to upgrade the fuel system.I'm still using the stock 3/8 in. fuel line with a Jegs High Volume fuel pump.But I believe that a 1/2 inch fuel line would be needed to feed the Horse Power I am hoping for.I have heard good things about RobbMc Performance,so I sent them an email regarding their Big Block fuel pump and their 1/2 inch sump for a G Body.here is that conversation;
    "I will be upgrading the fuel system and I have heard lots of good things about your products.
    I was looking at your website,and found your # 1096 Chevy BB 550 HP fuel pump.
    I also found your 1/2 pick up # 1088.
    Would this pump & pick up along with 1/2 inch line support my anticipated 800 HP ???
    Thanks
    Guy Hiltz"

    "Guy,
    Our sending unit would work but our 550HP pump would not supply enough fuel for 800HP. You would need to run a large electric pump or perhaps a "Race Pump" shown here: http://racepumps.com/fuelpumps.html
    Robb"
     
    Here is the RobbMc sump;
    And here is a Race Pumps fuel pump;
    They also have a refurbished one that is a bit cheaper;
    Here is one of their regulators;
    And a hose kit for the regulator;
    http://shop.racepumps.com/3000-Regulator-Line-Kit-For-4150-Series-Carburetors-3000.htm
    I sent an email to Race Pumps regarding the use of one of their systems,here is their reply;

    Guy,
    Yes, the 1600 pump and the 5011 regulator will feed 1,500 horsepower on gasoline. This is the link to your fuel system:
    1,050 horsepower on E-85. This is the link to the E85 fuel system:
     


    No comments:

    Post a Comment